Home     Contact     Customer Service     Webmail
MNPS Logo  
Print this page

Back to School Guide

August 1 - half day for all students; August 2 - Teacher in-service. Students do not report.; August 3 - Full day grades 1-12, Half-day PreK & K; August 4 - No School; August 5 -No School; August 6 - Full day for all students

If you are new to MNPS and speak a language other than English, register first at the EL Office, 615 Fessey Park Road. Si usted es Nuevo en las Escuelas Metropolitanas de Nashville y habla un idioma diferente al inglés, inscríbase primero en la Oficina de EL (Aprendices de Inglés) en 615 Fessey Park Road. 615 Fessey Park Road إذا كنت لست مسجّلا من قبل بإدارة التّعليم بناشفيل و تتحدّث لغة أخرى غير الأنجليزيّة, يجب أن تسجّل أوّلا بإدارة متعلّمي اللّغة الأنجليزيّة. العنوان

Need more help? Call the MNPS Customer Service Center!
Our Summer Hours through July 26 are as follows: 
Service Hours (Monday-Friday)
7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m
7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m

During the school year we're open Monday through Friday
6:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.
(615) 259-INFO (4636)

Click here for information on student physicals and check-ups.
Required Immunizations
School Principal Changes for 2013-14 
Schools Moves for 
2013 - 14 District Calendar

Why is the first day of  school a half day?
Every year hundreds of children who are not registered or immunized arrive at school on the first day. Our teachers and principals have to scramble to place unregistered students in classes and to get textbooks and materials for them. Students who are registered will meet their teachers, review school and classroom rules and receive some materials so everyone will be ready to work on the next school day.

My family is new to Metro Schools. How do I enroll my student?
We are having our first-ever Enrollment Week starting on July 22 through July 26. This is for parents who: Are new to the district; Have not previously enrolled their child, including kindergarteners, in Metro Schools;  Moved to a new school zone during the summer. You can also print, fill out and bring Household and Student Registration forms.
Also required for enrollment:

  • Birth Certificate or acceptable proof of age;
  • Immunization (vaccination record) on a Tennessee Certificate of Immunization Form;
  • Physical examination (within one [1] year of the beginning of school)
  • Proof of residency (current utility bill, lease, etc.)
  • Recent Report Card (optional)

How can I find out which school my student is zoned to attend?
To find your zoned school, use the School Zone Finder on our website, or call the Customer Service Center at 259-INFO (4636).

What immunizations does my child need to attend school?
Students new to Metro Schools or entering pre-school, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten or seventh grade will need a new certificate of immunization. The Metro Health Department offers free immunizations to Davidson County children under age 18. Immunizations are offered Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the Health Department's three centers: Lentz Health Center, 311 23rd Avenue North; Woodbine Health Center, 224 Oriel Avenue; East Health Center, 1015 East Trinity Lane.

Is my student old enough to start Kindergarten?
A child entering kindergarten must be five years of age on or before September 30. Kindergarten is mandatory for all students prior to enrolling in first grade. Make sure your kindergartener knows his or her name and address, what to do at the end of the day (for example, attend aftercare or ride the bus) and put your student's name on her or his backpack and lunch box.

How can I find the bus stop for my student?
Bus Stop information is available on our website starting July 15. Also, use our "Find Your Bus Stop" tool on the website. Bus stop assignment letters will also be mailed for students eligible to ride.

What supplies will my student need?
Each school and its teachers determine the specific supplies needed each year. Please contact the school or school web site for details. 

Below is a general supply list for elementary school students. This is only meant as a general listing of supplies for elementary students and should not be considered a final supply list. Schools will have other supply lists with items specific to their needs.  Elementary School General Supply Lists

What is the dress code for my student's school?
To find the dress code, please call the school's main office or visit the school's website.

Can my student bring a cell phone to school?
High school students may possess a cellular telephone or other personal technology on school property and may use such technology during lunch and transition times. Middle School and Alternative Learning Center students should check with their principal or building administrator. Students bring cell phones and other devices to school at their own risk.

My student is on an Optional School wait list. How can I find her status on the list?
If there are vacancies between now and the fifth day of school, the School Choice Office will contact you and you will have 24 hours to decide whether to accept the placement. Please ensure we have your current address and phone number so we can contact you. You may call the Customer Service Center at 259-INFO (4636) to check your place on the Wait List.

What should I do if my address or phone number has changed?
Please update your contact information at your school now so you will receive phone messages or letters from the school and district before school starts. If your child is in a Exceptional Education program or is on a wait list for a magnet school, please contact Customer Service at 259-INFO (4636) to be connected with other departments that need your information.

When is the Tennessee Tax-Free Holiday this year?
The State of Tennessee's Annual Sales Tax Holiday is held every year on the first Friday in August and ends the following Sunday night.
This year's tax-free holiday weekend begins at 12:01 a.m on Friday, August 2 and ends Sunday, August 4 at 11:59 p.m.

What if my student has a medication that is required to be taken during the school day?
Complete the Request for: Assisted Self-Administration of Medications (PETICIÓN PARA AUTOADMINISTRACIÓN DE MEDICAMENTOS CON AYUDA) form and provide it along with the medication to the main office at the school for processing. Medications must be in the original container.

ADA Symbol                                 2601 Bransford Ave. Nashville, TN 37204 615-259-INFO (4636) Home | Sitemap | Terms of Use | Copyright