The mission of the Office of School Security is to provide professional services that support and promote a safe and secure educational environment. Our duties include:
- Oversees emergency planning for the District and all school buildings. Emergency plan takes into account the full range of possible emergencies, from fires to bomb threats, severe weather alerts, and intruder situations. In addition to regularly scheduled fire drills, our schools have “lock down” drills in which students are directed to safe areas in the event of an emergency that requires them to remain in the building.
- Administers programs and initiatives to prevent and reduce school violence such as bullying prevention and student assistance.
- Offers a wide and varied range of relevant and practical staff development and training for principals, teachers, and staff enabling them to respond to students needs for safety and security.
- Coordinates activities with and acts as a liaison to Metro Police and Fire Departments as well as the Office of Emergency Management.
- Provides closed circuit TV and intrusion alarm systems for school facilities. Additionally, this office provides 24 hour 7 day a week support for these systems through a staff of experienced investigators.
- If you have questions or concerns, please call 259-INFO (4636).