What Our School Offers
- Library Power: The library media specialist becomes a resource teacher working with a flexible schedule allowing concentrated instruction in research skills coordinated with the curriculum content and state standards.
- Hands-On Science: Schoolwide Implementation Site - All grade level teachers are trained simultaneously to use the science kits. This program is supplemented with our local science lab and PTO-funded science lab facilitator.
- Daily 5 Reading & Writing Instruction: A team of teachers has been trained on the "Daily 5" method of provision of meaningful literacy experiences, which allow more time for intense guided reading and writing instruction with small groups of students. Students in grades K-3 are now involved in the Daily 5 Process
- Quantum Learning: The entire teaching staff has been trained on these unique teaching strategies that combine music, movement and mnemonic devices to increase student retention of information and motivate learning in a fun, interactive environment.
- Great Books Foundation: Many PPE teachers have received training in Junior Great Books and utilize the outstanding literature and Shared Inquiry discussions in their classrooms.
- Percy Priest Extended Day Tiger Club: Before & after school child care
- Spanish Instruction: Grades K-4
- Girls on the Run: This PTO-sponsored program helps girls in grade 3 and 4 develop healthy habits both physically and mentally, building self-esteem while building muscle. The girls work with GOTR director, Jennifer Kimball for 10 weeks, culminating in a 5K run. They also participate in various community service projects as part of the programs' character-building component.
- Singapore Math: PPE classroom teachers (K-4) have received training in "Foundations of Number Sense," a method of teaching mathematics.
- Art, Physical Education & Music: Grades K-4
- Other After School Activities: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Chess Club, WNSL Sports Teams, Running Club, Dance Team, Technology Club
What Makes Our School Unique?
Percy Priest School is a unique learning environment that is child-centered. All decision are made based on what is best for children. We have a high percentage of involved parents and community leaders who together with the teachers, staff and principal are involved members of the PTO. The PTO's goal is to provide our students with a wide variety of opportunities, experiences and resources that will broaden their horizons, stretch their minds and nurture creativity. We have received accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
An elementary science lab was created in 1991 and furnished with sophisticated equipment to provide age-appropriate lab experiences for students in physical, life, earth and environmental sciences. One part-time science facilitator is paid by the PTO to coordinate the program. Fundraising from the PTO also supports two part-time workroom assistants, part-time technology coach, part-time interventionist, classroom supplies and materials, musical instruments, art supplies, hundreds of library books, PE equipment, building maintenance and landscaping, and numerous other benefits.
In January 2012, PPE opened a new state of the art library media center, and computer lab. It also has several awards and distinctions, including iPads in all classrooms from Race to the Top grants, it was named a Reward School 2011-12, 2012-13, and was Presidential Physical Fitness Award Tennessee State Champion 2011, 2012, and 2013.
School Zone and Pathway
Students attending Percy Priest who live in the school zone are zoned to the Hillsboro High School cluster. To determine whether you are zoned to this school, visit our School Zone Finder.
PENCIL & Community Partners
- Honey-Baked Ham, Brentwood
- Hillsboro Church of Christ
- Learning Lab of Green Hills
- Vanguard Health Systems
- First Tennessee Bank of Green Hills
- Girls on the Run